Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sarah MacDonald Summarizes My Thoughts on India

As I read Holy Cow, by Sarah MacDonald, I came across this paragraph that really resonate with my feelings towards India. Here it is:

"India is beyond statement, for anything you say, the opposite is also true. It's rich and poor, spiritual and material, cruel and kind, angry but peaceful, ugly and beautiful, and smart but stupid. It's all the extremes. India defied understanding, and for once, for me, that's okay. ..... I kind of like being confused, wrestling with contradictions, and not having to wrap up issues in a minute before a newsbreak."

I definitely felt like I was no longer in as much control in India as I did back home but I got used to it. Being out of control was mainly due to being in a foreign place. But I think the culture is inherently filled with inconsistent information. However, I suppose knowing the local language would help reduce some of this inconsistent information I was bombarded with on a daily basis. The rule of thumb is to not believe it until you see it. This was not all bad.... it really kept me on my toes and made into a more adaptable person. I'm really glad I got to experience this part of India.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers